When I saw the three-legged spindle drones from 40k’s Blackstone Fortress set, I knew I had to create a cool science fantasy styled warband for Frostgrave using them as my “hounds.” In finding Warmachine’s art deco-themed Convergence of Cyriss faction, I knew I had my wizard and other figures.
I had begun to purchase and convert some of these miniatures this spring before the severity of the pandemic became apparent. When the world shut down, I put what I had of this warband in a box until the past few days.
For my robot cult, it’s a mix of manufacturers with all models getting at least some conversions – a few pretty significantly:
- Retro robot archers are from Hydra Miniatures
- Floating wizard and the two female robots (with claws and the axe) are Warhamchine Convergence of Cryriss
- Three-legged “hounds” are from 40k Blackstone Fortress, as is the electro-priest looking guy with the open tome
- The “houndsman” is a Reaper base
- The other, hooded human figure is from Scibor
These ended up being significantly larger than the other minis in the other warbands – but I’m not helped by using dwarves and small ragdolls in those contexts, either.
I finished priming these this morning and gave them a quick base wash for contrast.
Some additional close ups follow here.
Like I said, I’m still getting the hang of conversions with green stuff, pinning, etc. But they look okay enough from tabletop distance.